Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Self-identify that you require an accommodation in the workplace. The request can go to your manager and the manager should reach out to HR. The request should be accompanied by a medical certificate to indicate that an accommodation is required. No diagnosis is required but the documentation should clearly indicate specific limitations and restrictions and duration of accommodation.
  2. HR may follow up to request the completion of a Functional Abilities Form (FAF) if additional details are required on restrictions or the prognosis. A job description is generally provided with the FAF for the doctor to review. If you need a copy of your job description, you can reach out to us.
  3. Once this information has been provided, the employer must prepare and implement an accommodation plan. Members can ask for Union representation for any meetings at this stage.

It’s also worth noting that a doctor may recommend an accommodation but if there is another means of accommodation that would be aligned with the restrictions, employers do have some latitude to change or modify the requested accommodation. Members should contact the Union if they have concerns about being properly accommodated.

The Ontario Human Rights Commission has a helpful resource on disability-related accommodation, including how much information employers are entitled to. If you have questions or concerns throughout the process, you are welcome to reach out to us.

Inclement Weather

The CUPE 2424 Collective Agreement has provisions for inclement weather that were introduced in the last round of collective bargaining in 2020.

Inclement weather provisions under Article 22.05 c) of the CUPE 2424 Collective Agreement allow for late arrival, early departure, or a full day of annual leave (or Special Leave for sudden lack of childcare in the event of bus cancellations or school closures).

Remote work options may also be requested on an ad hoc basis for inclement weather even for members without a standing flexible work agreement, or on different days than usual for those who do.

We encourage members to discuss the options with their Manager if they have concerns about getting to work safely. Provisions are subject to Manager approval.

Investigatory Meetings

Most members should not be alarmed by the term “investigatory meeting” or that it could lead to discipline. The meeting will be more of a discussion than an “investigation” or interrogation, and the purpose is mainly to collect information. The overwhelming majority of cases are resolved with a clarifying of expectations and do not lead to suspension or termination. In any case, we recommend members reach out to the Union to provide further details and ask questions. A Zone Officer (union representative) can then accompany you to this meeting.

Job Competitions

Per Article 12.05 of our Collective Agreement, unsuccessful applicants can request written feedback regarding the staffing decision within 7 working days. The Employer will respond with a documented rationale of their staffing decision (DYSD) within 15 working days from the date of your request. This is the first necessary step to finding more information about their staffing decision, and the first step for any process the union pursues. Please keep us posted once you receive that DYSD form – you can share that with us if you have concerns or questions about it.


It is important to work only approved overtime, and ensure that this is requested and approved in advance by submitting this form to your manager. Managers give written approval for those predicted overtime hours, and then record the actual overtime worked.

Overtime is by default paid out to employees, and workers can choose to instead be given time off in lieu of payment if they prefer, both at 1.5x the employee’s hourly rate. If a department encourages time off in lieu as the only option (due to departmental budget, etc.), workers can rightfully decline to work the requested overtime hours.

According to the form, overtime report forms received by the 15th of the month following the overtime worked will be processed for the end month pay. (i.e. Overtime worked in September submitted by October 15th will be paid at the end of October.)

Here is HR’s link that includes the monthly overtime report deadlines:

Sick Leave

Employees are allowed 5 days consecutive uncertified, after which the employer MAY ask for a sick note OR 7 days uncertified casual (e.g. A day or two here and there), after which the Employer MAY ask for a sick note. If the employee’s sick leave days fall within these parameters, then it is inappropriate for the employer to ask for a sick note. The employee should have a meeting with the manager to go over the sick leave provisions of the Collective Agreement.

Sick leave notes may be written by a medical professional or specialist (therapist, family doctor, surgeon, etc.). Sick leave notes are paid for by the employee – we continue to advocate for the employer to pay for medical notes in bargaining. Please contact us if you have questions about this.

Workplace Injury & WSIB

  • Fill out an incident report on Carleton’s CU WorkSafe reporting system and keep a copy for your records and to submit to WSIB. You should also inform your Manager.
  • Identify to your health care professional that you were inured at work and have them fill out a Form 8 and submit to WSIB. Ask for a copy to keep for your records. Provide a copy to your manager and WSIB Program Administrator in Human Resources.
  • Fill out a Form 6 and submit to WSIB. You can call the WSIB at 1-800-387-0750 and follow the prompts for “Workers” for help completing the form online or a pdf copy.
  • Make sure Employer fills out Form 7 and provides you with a copy

  • Submit to WSIB any paystubs you have for the four (4) weeks before the injury
  • Follow up with WSIB to see if any additional information is needed
  • Ask your local to contact the Employer to submit income information to WSIB

  1. Request health care entitlement from WSIB
  2. Save all receipts for out-of-pocket expenses for medication and treatment related to injury. Confirm with your treatment provider that that they accept WSIB patients (some paramedical practitioners do not accept WSIB patients).
  3. Submit receipts to WSIB and ask to be reimbursed. You can’t submit to both the Extended Health and Dental program at Carleton University and the WSIB but if for some reason your claim for medical expenses is not approved, you can submit your receipts to Canada Life for coverage.

Immediately contact us ( when you receive a denial decision letter from WSIB. Check the denial decision letter for time limits. Act quickly so everything can get done within the time limit.

You can ask us about having your claim referred to a CUPE National WSIB specialist. Our CUPE National Staff Representative may be able to help you with the referral package in order to get you the specialist help you need.

Submit the Intent to Object form to WSIB within time limits. Complete referral forms with your union to see if CUPE can represent you in an appeal.